Monday, September 18, 2017

People with schizophrenia left out of longevity revolution

"Since the 1970s, general mortality rates in developed countries have declined. On average, lifespans have lengthened by almost a decade. One demographic group that has not reflected this trend: persons with schizophrenia, whose life expectancy is 15 to 20 years shorter than the general population. The average life expectancy in developed countries increased from 72 years in 1970 to 1975 to 80 years in 2005 to 2010, according to the United Nations. Some nations are projected to reach an average life expectancy over 90 years by 2030. However, the gap in longevity between the overall population and persons with schizophrenia appears to be widening. Writing in the September 15 issue of the journal Schizophrenia Research, a team of researchers at University of California San Diego School of Medicine and Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System analyzed all eight published longitudinal studies of mortality in schizophrenia that met their strict research criteria and found that the mean standardized mortality ratio -- a measure of the mortality rate in schizophrenia -- had increased 37 percent from pre-1970s studies to post-1970s studies." Beside cancer that I had in my left lung and since had the lung removed.  I have a healthy life I exercise and I know and planning just in case it happens. I do not know if I will see any days after retirement.
The article goes on to say: "'There has long been a longevity gap between persons with schizophrenia and the general population," said co-senior author Dilip Jeste, MD, Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry and Neurosciences and director of the Stein Institute for Research on Aging at UC San Diego School of Medicine. 'Much of it has been attributed to natural causes of death, such as cardiovascular disease, unhealthy lifestyles (persons with schizophrenia have a greater propensity to behaviors like smoking or eating poorly), inadequate access to health care and biological factors, such as accelerated cellular aging. A small proportion of individuals with schizophrenia die from suicides.'  The new study is the first systemic review of longitudinal trends in mortality among persons with schizophrenia, said Jeste. 'The reasons for the widening gap in longevity are not clear,' said Ellen Lee, MD, a research fellow at UC San Diego School of Medicine and first author of the paper. Schizophrenia mortality rates appeared to decrease from the mid-1950s to early 1970s, perhaps due to the development of antipsychotic drugs and deinstitutionalization of persons with serious mental illness -- a shift away from crowded psychiatric facilities to community-based treatments. But the subsequent, expansive closure of mental health facilities, fragmentation of outpatient health care services and growing difficulties in finding housing (increasing homelessness and incarceration rates) and support for persons with schizophrenia and other serious mental illnesses have adversely impacted longevity.'" We are going through a housing crisis with rent be so high. It is just to expensive and I do get upset I changed my whole life went to college and this is not what I expected. Although I have grand kids now and I cannot give up.
The article ends: "'Persons with schizophrenia require comprehensive and regular physical monitoring and care to prevent and treat chronic age-related medical conditions. They are more vulnerable, for example, to obesity and diabetes,' said Jeste. The take-home message, he said, was that a significant segment of the population -- just over 1 percent or 3.2 million Americans -- are believed to suffer from some form of schizophrenia -- are not benefiting from new scientific advances, lifestyle changes or health care improvements enjoyed by others. 'These findings reflect on a persistent and pervasive stigma against mental illness and societal neglect of this vital yet vulnerable segment of the population, which continues to be disenfranchised,' the authors wrote. 'Work is urgently warranted to help reduce stigma, improve healthy lifestyles in a disseminable way and tailor primary care services to that person with serious mental illnesses are not left behind in the longevity revolution'" Yes. I had diabetes but I found walking made me lose weight and I have not had it in over five years.  I watch my weight maybe to much but I do not want to go back to taking metaformin. I do take cinnamon 1000mg every morning that helps with blood sugar also. I try my best to live  healthy lifestyle. I do not know how long I will live I just hope it is long enough to enjoy my new great grandson and my new granddaughter who I like to see get to grow up and enjoy.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Charles
    I have read that the longevity gap is as wide as 25 years! That said I find it highly disingenuous of researchers who acknowledge this increasing mortality rate to deny that the reasons are obvious. The suicide rate in America has soared for the general population in recent decades, possibly due to PTSD-related conditions in veterans. But it is clear to almost anyone diagnosed with schizophrenia like me that the drugs cause obesity and diabetes with predictable regularity, and this happens no matter how rigid some are in terms of diet and exercise. The fact that PWSz are often forcibly kept on these meds until they are effectively addicted then BLAMED for the metabolic syndrome that inevitably follows just appals me. But what else can you expect of the medical-pharmaceutical industry. It is a matter of blaming the victim and nothing less. Yes, I too take these drugs and have done so since the 1970s...both nominally by my volition (without informed consent) and by literal force. We cannot predict the future in any individual case, though, so I willl continue to assume for myself not any early death but life well into my 90s.

    Take care,

    WAGblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone love to see the information that you are providing "People with schizophrenia left out of longevity revolution" Amazes me lot. Keep up Sharing Mental health Recovery Information

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find something in herbal medicine good to share on here with anyone suffering from the disease such as HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis or Chronic Lyme Disease, Lupus as well.Dr Itua herbal made cure my HIV and gave me hope that he can cure all types of diseases I believed him) I do the best of myself that I can do, I went for a program in west Africa about fashion on another side I was HIV positive. I walk through a nearby village for our program schedule then I found a signage notice that says Dr Itua Herbal Center then I asked my colleagues what all about this very man called Dr Itua, She told me that he's a herbal doctor and he can cure all kind of disease i walked to him and explain myself to him as I'm a strangler out there he prepared me herbal medicine and told me how to drink it for two weeks, when I get to my hotel room I take a look at it then says a prayer before I drank it not knowing after two weeks I went to test and I found out I was negative I ran to him to pay him more but he refuses and says I should share his works for me around the globe so sick people can see as well. I'm writing a lot about him this season so that is how I was cured by drinking Dr Itua herbal medicine, He's A caring man with godly heart. Well - everything I decided all go through for me well and how you're going to treat this new aspect to your life. You don't have to suffer alone, and it's okay to ask for help. It also doesn't have to be a constant demon, as you'll get to know your body and yourself in a much deeper way than most people. Take advantage of this, as it will help you appreciate Africa Herbal Made.
    Dr Itua Contact Information.
    Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com
    Whatsapp Number....+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  4. IT Relocation Services
    Anika Tech Support managed by a team of professionals utilising a combined 20+ years of experience in IT support and Managed IT services Focusing on Proactive support, continuity, growth and development. We are a forward thinking IT Company who support public and private sector using the latest tech as a driving force for our client’s Success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So is possible that HIV Disease can be cured because I have been scammed so many times not until I came across this great man Dr Akhigbe who helped me at first I never believe all this comment and post about him and I was very sick because I have been infected with HIV/AIDS for the past two year,just last 2 months I keep reading the testimony about this man named Dr Akhigbe they said that the man is so powerful he have cured different type of diseases, I keep monitoring his post of some people about this man and I found out that he was real so I decided to give him a trial I contacted him for help and he said he was going to help me get my cure that all I needed to do was to send him money to prepare the medication after which it will be sent to me via DHL courier delivery services which I did to my greatest surprise the medication was sent to me he gave me instructions to follow on how to drink it that after  three weeks I should go for check up,after taking the medicine and follow his instruction after three weeks I went back to the hospital for another test, at first I was shocked when the doctor told me that I was  negative I ask the doctor to check again and the result was still the same negative that was how I free from  HIV VIRUS at of the shock I decided to come and share my own testimony with you for those who think there is no cure for HIV VIRUS the cure as finally come'  out stop doubting and contact Dr Akhigbe via email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com he will help you out you can also whatsApp him via +2348142454860 he is also perfect in curing DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER ,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE, SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, PAIN IN JOINT,EPILEPSY,STROKE,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, EATING DISORDER etc believe me that deadly disease is not longer a deadly sentence because dr akhigbe has the cure.the godfather of herbal root.
    email: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com         whatsapp number.  +2348142454860  website: https://drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing such an valueable and informative blog about mental health recovery. As a black mental health therapist I really like it.

    ReplyDelete